Red Ribbon Week

The last week in October is Red Ribbon Week. This is a week that schools promote being drug free in remembrance of a DEA agent who was tortured and killed while undercover in Mexico investigating drug cartels. Last year I was in charge of the weeks activities and handouts. I had heard about this assembly that the CO National Guard would do for schools, but it was past the deadline for us to sign up. I asked the principal if I could try for it this year and he told me yes. So during September I contacted the CO National Guard and got the application and sent it back in. Luckily we have a big field so we were able to pick having a helicopter come to the school. If you can't have a helicopter you can get a Humvee instead.

The entire school gathered on the field while we waited. At first the helicopter flew over. And then the two National Guard members who were on the ground held the radio up to the PA system and the kids got to hear the pilot say he was lost and ask if the kids could make a lot of noise so they could find us. I have to say even though you knew it was scripted it was awesome!

When the helicopter landed, 2 DEA officers climbed out and then gave a presentation on what Red Ribbon Week is about. Then they talked about how if you stay drug free you can grow up to be whatever you want. The helicopter pilot talked about how being drug free helped him to become a pilot. Then they had some kids come up and talk about what they wanted to be when they grew up and had them make a promise to not use drugs. Then the kids got to line up and see/touch the helicopter.





I felt like the awesomest mom ever! I'm so glad that I'm involved in PTA and with my girls school.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Newest Addition!

A Year of Horrible

My Irrational Fears