Crawling, Science Fair, and "The Talk"
This past week the girls had Monday off, so we went to Jumping Jordy's (an indoor inflatables place). They had a blast. I tried to climb in and jump with Scarlett and soon found out that it is one more thing I cannot do with a broken tailbone. Just trying to keep my balance was super painful. So after about 30 secs I handed her off to Dean and got out as quickly as I could. The girls had a blast though. We were there for over 3 hours. They had a couple of friends that came as well, and Dean would also get up in the things and jump with them and play tag. It was a great time watching them have fun!
Tuesday we had the science fair at the school and both girls decided to participate. Alexandra did a project to see if oil and water mix and Riley wanted to see if cats had fingerprints.
This is the first year we've done the science fair and the girls had so much fun. It will definitely be an activity that we do again!
Scarlett started crawling this week too. Once she figured it out, she has really just taken off. She loves that she can follow us when she wants too.
The first video is just something that she's been doing lately that makes me laugh and then the next is her crawling.
So the last 2 years we've had mini "Talks" with Riley (couldn't avoid it since I was pregnant) and the last few weeks she has really been asking questions (mostly about bras - apparently it's a huge thing in her class). I asked her if she would like me to buy her some books that would help explain some of the questions that she had. So I spent an hour going through books at the bookstore and found two that I really liked. She read them and then we had a LONG talk. It's one of those scary Mom moments - but I'd like to say I think I did a great job. Well, at least I think I didn't traumatize her....I'm hoping.....
The book I liked the best was The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl Library) by Valorie Schaefer. It is awesome! It talks about everything like taking care of your hair, your skin, your teeth, nutrition and of course all the things she has to look forward to like periods and shaving. Riley has been reading it the last two days and it has made it so much easier for her to ask me questions. She also has been telling me all the things I do wrong...."you shouldn't bite your nails....you shouldn't pick zits....you shouldn't use cotton swabs in your ears..." It's been funny being schooled by my 3rd grader. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone who has a preteen girl!!!
Comments
Post a Comment