Black Friday/Cutting Back on Christmas
So this year has been rough financially. We are currently having to put a new engine in the Tahoe and that is going on a credit card. Let alone all the other stuff that has happened this year. The Tahoe is kinda the breaking point though (and it still needs new tires). So I had talked to my mom about how Christmas was going to be so much less this year then other years and telling her how I didn't think we could afford presents for them or any extended family. At that time we needed to put tires on the van as well. She told me to talk to the girls and if they were okay with not getting any toys from them, they would buy us van tires for Christmas instead of presents. She also told us we could come and clean their house for them as a present instead (yay - so much more affordable!!!)
So I had a long talk with the girls (Riley and Alexandra) and fortunately I have AMAZING children. They are so understanding and not selfish at all. We talked about how I love to give gifts and love going to the store and finding things that are perfect for them. We talked about how they already have so many toys and really don't need any more. So they agreed that it was okay for Grammy to give us tires instead of toys. And then we talked about how I needed to be better this year and not spend tons of money on them, even though I really wanted to. So I told them to really, really think about what they wanted this year. I told them I would have a $50 budget for them each and they could think of whatever they really wanted. Whether it was 1 item or 10 and that's what I would get them. Usually I get them the same number of presents so that when we are unwrapping (we unwrap one at time and take turns) no one feels left out because they are out of presents while others are still unwrapping. We talked about if they picked one item they would only have 1 present to unwrap, so they had to be good with that.
They then thought and thought about what they wanted. They scoured all the the toy ads searching for the perfect present. And then they two of them decided they wanted to share their money so they could have the new Skylanders WII game. They have the original Skylanders game, so we only needed to buy the Portal Owners pack which was $60. So they would have $20 more dollars they could pick out another present with. And then Wal-Marts Black Friday ad came out!! I could get the whole game which was $80 for $40! That would leave them with $30 left for another present. So I ventured out last night at 8 to brave the Wal-Mart crowds. I got what I wanted and was out within 30 minutes of getting to the store. It was amazing! I don't think I've been able to get out of there on a normal shopping trip that fast. And then I headed to Toys R Us to pick up some of the figurines for the game. The girls decided that was what they wanted with the rest of their money, and Toys R Us had them for Buy 1 Get 1 Free. It was not as good as Wal-Mart for being about to get out though. I spent about an hour in line. But it was okay! I got what I wanted and just spent the time chatting with a lady from Germany who was in line behind me.
I know some people hate the whole Black Friday thing, but it was so good for us this year. I was able to get the girls what they wanted and even more of the figurines then they would have originally gotten (3 instead of 1). I had a good time and made sure I was super polite and friendly to the other people and workers. I helped others find things they were looking for, which made me feel awesome! I'm also so grateful that the stores I needed to go to opened at 8 pm. I know it's hard on the workers to give up some of their holiday and I appreciated them for it. If it had been super early in the morning, I don't think I would have been able to go since Dean works and there's no way I was gonna drag 3 girls around on Black Friday.
Now I just have to order Scarlett's present and then I'm done!! She's getting a used DS, which she will love. She plays her sisters DS's all the time and I'm so scared she will break them. And it just so happens that GameStop has used DS's for $50! Yay!
I just want to say how grateful I am that I can spend $50 on each of the girls too. I know that there are many families that don't even have that. The girls will also get pj's and a book, so they will at least get a couple of things that will be a surprise! And I'm proud of myself for sticking to a budget. I usually try to set one, but then I get carried away. Dean and I are not doing anything for each other - the Tahoe's engine is enough of a Christmas present for both of us! I know Dean is happy he won't have to do Christmas shopping - he hates it! Not the gift giving part, just the trying to figure out what to buy me!
So I had a long talk with the girls (Riley and Alexandra) and fortunately I have AMAZING children. They are so understanding and not selfish at all. We talked about how I love to give gifts and love going to the store and finding things that are perfect for them. We talked about how they already have so many toys and really don't need any more. So they agreed that it was okay for Grammy to give us tires instead of toys. And then we talked about how I needed to be better this year and not spend tons of money on them, even though I really wanted to. So I told them to really, really think about what they wanted this year. I told them I would have a $50 budget for them each and they could think of whatever they really wanted. Whether it was 1 item or 10 and that's what I would get them. Usually I get them the same number of presents so that when we are unwrapping (we unwrap one at time and take turns) no one feels left out because they are out of presents while others are still unwrapping. We talked about if they picked one item they would only have 1 present to unwrap, so they had to be good with that.
They then thought and thought about what they wanted. They scoured all the the toy ads searching for the perfect present. And then they two of them decided they wanted to share their money so they could have the new Skylanders WII game. They have the original Skylanders game, so we only needed to buy the Portal Owners pack which was $60. So they would have $20 more dollars they could pick out another present with. And then Wal-Marts Black Friday ad came out!! I could get the whole game which was $80 for $40! That would leave them with $30 left for another present. So I ventured out last night at 8 to brave the Wal-Mart crowds. I got what I wanted and was out within 30 minutes of getting to the store. It was amazing! I don't think I've been able to get out of there on a normal shopping trip that fast. And then I headed to Toys R Us to pick up some of the figurines for the game. The girls decided that was what they wanted with the rest of their money, and Toys R Us had them for Buy 1 Get 1 Free. It was not as good as Wal-Mart for being about to get out though. I spent about an hour in line. But it was okay! I got what I wanted and just spent the time chatting with a lady from Germany who was in line behind me.
I know some people hate the whole Black Friday thing, but it was so good for us this year. I was able to get the girls what they wanted and even more of the figurines then they would have originally gotten (3 instead of 1). I had a good time and made sure I was super polite and friendly to the other people and workers. I helped others find things they were looking for, which made me feel awesome! I'm also so grateful that the stores I needed to go to opened at 8 pm. I know it's hard on the workers to give up some of their holiday and I appreciated them for it. If it had been super early in the morning, I don't think I would have been able to go since Dean works and there's no way I was gonna drag 3 girls around on Black Friday.
Now I just have to order Scarlett's present and then I'm done!! She's getting a used DS, which she will love. She plays her sisters DS's all the time and I'm so scared she will break them. And it just so happens that GameStop has used DS's for $50! Yay!
I just want to say how grateful I am that I can spend $50 on each of the girls too. I know that there are many families that don't even have that. The girls will also get pj's and a book, so they will at least get a couple of things that will be a surprise! And I'm proud of myself for sticking to a budget. I usually try to set one, but then I get carried away. Dean and I are not doing anything for each other - the Tahoe's engine is enough of a Christmas present for both of us! I know Dean is happy he won't have to do Christmas shopping - he hates it! Not the gift giving part, just the trying to figure out what to buy me!
Comments
Post a Comment