Riley's First Day of School

So yesterday was Riley's first day of school. We did take pictures with Deans work camera, but we have to wait till they put them on a disc for us (CST policy). But then I will post them.

She was so excited! She got the teacher that she wanted this year. And several of her "best friends" from 1st grade are in her class this year. It's gonna be a huge class, about 24 kids. She told me yesterday that one of her "boyfriends from last year" is in her class. It made me laugh, Dean on the other hand wasn't too excited about her choice of words. She was exhausted though when she got home from school. But apparently they made puzzles with their hand prints and she was excited.

They did an "Opening Ceremony" yesterday - since the olympics are going right now. The had all the teachers make class room flags and then they all walked to the flag pole in front of the school. Then they said the Pledge of Allegiance and listened to the National Anthem. Then all of the classes got to be called one by one while the parents cheered for them as they walked back into the school. It was kinda cute. The poor new kindergarteners had no idea what the heck was happening to them though. They looked so lost.

For those of you that don't know, I'm on PTA this year. I'm one of the event co-chairs. So far though I'm wondering why the heck I volunteered....it's just been crazy!!! After next week hopefully I'm able to go back to being sane. We had back to school night, then bagels for the kindergarten parents yesterday, and next Friday is our school carnival (which is what is driving me crazy). Hopefully everything will work out, but we've been having mass problems with everything. First we can't get some of the usual things we do - like having a K-9 demonstration, and we're not sure on the fire department because of the Democratic National Convention. Also some times we have some local politicians help out with the carnival booths and again the DNC is possibly ruining that too. Which wouldn't be too bad, if we could get parent volunteers.... yeah apparently this year no one wants to help out. I think it will all work out (I'm crossing my fingers) we were able to get a few more volunteers at back to school night. The kids will love it though. It's just a fun afternoon of carnival games, jumping castles, cake walk, dunk tank, cotton candy, snow cones, pizza, prizes for the games, and drawings for items for the parents (stuff we get donated from local businesses). Yeah just that last sentence made me cringe...it's all the stuff we're trying to get set up and done. Yeah I'm definately crazy, but hopefully the craziness has an end date of next Friday.

Comments

  1. Does Alexandra get upset when Riley goes to school? Ryan has been so angry about the whole school thing. I am stumped about what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She did last year. She cried every morning, like horrible hysterical crying. But this year she's amazing. She waves and tells Riley to have a good day. Last year I had to make sure Riley gave her hugs and kisses before going into her class room or the crying would last for hours. I also would try to think of "fun" things for us to do all by ourselves that Riley didn't get too....but most days that wasn't enough to make her stop crying. She'd just cry because Riley didn't get to do it too. It finally got better about February (I know, but it took her a long time to get used to all day school). And then I only had fits if Riley didn't give her 2 hugs and 2 kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey do you and Alexandra want to hang out on Thursday?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I've been meaning to call you, but CRAZY week!! As long as we do it at my house. I'm having a new stove delivered...yeah the craziness just won't stop at school stuff. I'll call you tonight sometime after school is out and I'm done selling carnival tickets....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment