A Mother's Intuition

Wednesday night Alexandra was being herself and climbing and jumping off of furniture. Well she decided to climb on the computer chair and jump off. The chair spun once she started to jump causing her to just fall. I didn't see it happen, I just heard the thump as she landed. She cried for probably about 30 mins, which is so unlike Alexandra, but we couldn't see anything wrong and she was able to move her hand all about. We gave her some Tylenol and started to read stories since it was bedtime and she fell asleep during Riley's story. So we decided we would wait till the morning and see how she was doing. Well she woke up crying about 2 in the morning saying that it hurt, so we gave her some more Tylenol and then she slept with me. (I know bad mom, but I was totally thinking $100 copay or wait a few hours and $20 copay - If we could definitely see that it was broken I would have taken her in, but I didn't want to pay $100 to be told there was nothing wrong with her). So when she woke up and heard us mention the doctor, all of the sudden there was no pain and it was all better. The bad part was that she was using her hand for everything, so we couldn't tell if it was hurting her or not. So we called Kaiser and spoke to several nurses who told us that even though she was moving it around it could still be broken. So we decided to take her in for an x-ray. After we set the appointment, she took a running leap at the couch and landed on her arm and started screaming that it hurt, so I figured we had made the right choice. When we got to the clinic she was bouncing around and laughing, and I really felt like the paranoid mom who brings her child in for the littlest things. But when the doctor looked at her, she said she thought it was probably broken too. So they x-rayed it and yep she broke one of the bones in her arm right next to her wrist. It's called a buckle fracture. She has to wear her cast for 3 weeks, and she's already trying to pull it off because "It doesn't hurt anymore, so it's all better now". So I told her scary stories about how if she took it off and landed on her arm and hurt the bone even more they would have to do surgery and she would have to wear a worse cast for even longer. I know...bad mom...but hey I couldn't think of anything else to keep her from yanking on the cast. But I am learning that if I think there is something wrong with my child, there probably is, I'm the one who knows her best and should listen to my instincts.




Comments

  1. Grandpa is calling Alexandra "Crash" now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are totally not a bad mom! My Riley broke his arm when Randy was in China a few years ago. He fell down the stairs. He screamed and was holding his arm. My dad came to inspect and we thought it was fine because he could still move it. So I decided to give him motrin and put him to bed. He slept all night. But the next morning when I went to get him he was just laying in his crib, normally he would jump up and reach for me. Then I noticed he wouldn't put any pressure on his arm, so I decided we better take him in. Sure enough he had a buckle fracture in both of the bones just above his wrist. Poor kid. I was feeling like a bad mom for waiting, but I am glad the copay was less, and the doctors didn't think I was a bad mom, so that's all that matters right? :) I also learned that when the spirit whispers "We really shouldn't be playing on the stairs" I need to listen!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Newest Addition!

A Year of Horrible

My Irrational Fears