Last Nights "Fun" Adventure
So the time has come....apparently for me to start getting to know the hospital staff once again. Last night I had to go into the hospital because I was having contractions.
I woke up from a nap about 2:30 with a weird pain in my side. So I tried laying down hoping that the pain was just a weird growing pain or something. It was a constant pain and there wasn't any cramping or anything, so I wasn't sure what was going on. At 11:00 as I'm trying to go to sleep and the pain still isn't going anywhere I notice that about every 5 minutes my belly keeps getting tight. So I time it for a little while to see how constant it is, and it's between 4-5 minutes apart. So I get up and call Kaiser while Dean calls my mom. Kaiser tells me to go to a different hospital than the one that I'm supposed to deliver at since that hospital won't take anyone under 30 weeks. So on the car ride down, the contractions are getting stronger and have become 3 minutes apart. We get into Labor and Delivery and they start doing all these tests. (Some that I've never heard of before) They did one with a q-tip that takes a sample of the fluid behind the cervix - and that one can tell them if you're in actual preterm labor. I'm still not really sure how it does that, but if it comes back negative you have a 98% chance that you will not go into labor in the next 10 days (not really sure how they know that either....) But it came back negative, although the doctor kept stressing that 2% so I don't know how really confident she is in the test either. I'm dilated to a 2.5 and I'm 50% effaced, which is VERY unlike me and causes me concern. With the other two I was at a 1 up to the day I delivered and even then it took a long time with both for me to move from a 1. I was still at a -4 station (good news) and they did an ultrasound to measure the length of the cervix which is still measuring (the thickness I think) at just under normal. They waited a few hours while I had to drink water - which I'd been doing all day so I'm pretty sure it was not a case of dehydration contractions. Plus they still never went away. And then they rechecked me again (still at 2.5) and did another ultrasound which still looked normal. This time one of the further up doctors (not a resident?) came in as well. They said they felt comfortable sending me home since I was not progressing and the baby looked great! (Thank goodness) And since that one test was negative. They gave me a sleeping pill (since there was no way I was going to be able to sleep with the pain) and instructions on when to come back. (If the pain worsens....since I was already at 3 mins between contractions I couldn't use that as a determining factor) So we got home at about 5 am and I took my pill and went to sleep. I have to say that the 5 hours I got were the best 5 hours I've had in quite a few months now. The contractions have stopped (thank goodness!) but I feel like I've been hit by a truck, or someone took a few swings with a baseball bat at me.
The baby is moving good (which doesn't feel very nice with my sore tummy). And I'm super tired. But so far, so good. Hopefully that's my last trip to the hospital until my "LAST" trip!
I woke up from a nap about 2:30 with a weird pain in my side. So I tried laying down hoping that the pain was just a weird growing pain or something. It was a constant pain and there wasn't any cramping or anything, so I wasn't sure what was going on. At 11:00 as I'm trying to go to sleep and the pain still isn't going anywhere I notice that about every 5 minutes my belly keeps getting tight. So I time it for a little while to see how constant it is, and it's between 4-5 minutes apart. So I get up and call Kaiser while Dean calls my mom. Kaiser tells me to go to a different hospital than the one that I'm supposed to deliver at since that hospital won't take anyone under 30 weeks. So on the car ride down, the contractions are getting stronger and have become 3 minutes apart. We get into Labor and Delivery and they start doing all these tests. (Some that I've never heard of before) They did one with a q-tip that takes a sample of the fluid behind the cervix - and that one can tell them if you're in actual preterm labor. I'm still not really sure how it does that, but if it comes back negative you have a 98% chance that you will not go into labor in the next 10 days (not really sure how they know that either....) But it came back negative, although the doctor kept stressing that 2% so I don't know how really confident she is in the test either. I'm dilated to a 2.5 and I'm 50% effaced, which is VERY unlike me and causes me concern. With the other two I was at a 1 up to the day I delivered and even then it took a long time with both for me to move from a 1. I was still at a -4 station (good news) and they did an ultrasound to measure the length of the cervix which is still measuring (the thickness I think) at just under normal. They waited a few hours while I had to drink water - which I'd been doing all day so I'm pretty sure it was not a case of dehydration contractions. Plus they still never went away. And then they rechecked me again (still at 2.5) and did another ultrasound which still looked normal. This time one of the further up doctors (not a resident?) came in as well. They said they felt comfortable sending me home since I was not progressing and the baby looked great! (Thank goodness) And since that one test was negative. They gave me a sleeping pill (since there was no way I was going to be able to sleep with the pain) and instructions on when to come back. (If the pain worsens....since I was already at 3 mins between contractions I couldn't use that as a determining factor) So we got home at about 5 am and I took my pill and went to sleep. I have to say that the 5 hours I got were the best 5 hours I've had in quite a few months now. The contractions have stopped (thank goodness!) but I feel like I've been hit by a truck, or someone took a few swings with a baseball bat at me.
The baby is moving good (which doesn't feel very nice with my sore tummy). And I'm super tired. But so far, so good. Hopefully that's my last trip to the hospital until my "LAST" trip!
oh my gosh, Cort, that's scary, isn't it? Did they have any idea what was going on or did they just chalk it up to Braxton Hicks? I'm glad everything is okay and you are home. Take it easy for the next few weeks. :)
ReplyDeleteThey said not braxton hicks, but they weren't sure why. One of the doctors said it could just be my uterus being irritable. And they gave me several other reasons like stress or tons of activity (that one really doesn't apply to me though). There were some other reasons too, but I'm too tired to remember them right now :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad all is okay now, Cortney! I hope you got some rest today. Keep thinking positive thoughts!!! Like you said, hopefully it's the last trip until it's time!
ReplyDeleteWe are glad you were able to get some rest. This probably did not help with your fears that you blogged about....BE POSITIVE...Lot's of prayers for you are being heard in Heaven. If you need anything that might help you to relax, or vent or whatever, we are always here for you...And we too hope this is the last trip until you are supposed to be there 71 days----No hospital trips until then o.k :-).....Heath, Mandie & kids
ReplyDeletewelcome to my world... when I went to the dr last week they said they just need me to make it to 36 weeks and that is only 4 and a half weeks. I am so freaking because it is going by so quickly.... Good luck and when we both have these babies we need to get together..
ReplyDeleteBeen there! I was just further along. I'm so glad things are good, though. Don't be stressing yourself into contractions, my friend! I'm praying for you, still! :)
ReplyDelete