My Smart Girls
The first time she told me about this was in the car, and she actually had the numbers correct then. When I asked her where she learned it she told me "On Qubo" - Qubo is a stupid channel that I hate - we started getting it when I hooked up the converter boxes to our antennas - it's like an infomercial with cartoons in between. But now I guess I can't hate it too bad since she learned something cool.
Now this interesting fact she told Dean and I as we were walking into the house and she was looking at the sky. Yep, she's just one smart kid!!
Now for my Riley. She was invited to a birthday party which will be on a Sunday. I have been dreading something like this happening. It also happens to be a party for her "best" friend. So we've had the invitation for a few days now and I've been trying to figure out how to tell her that she couldn't go. So 2 nights ago she picked up the invitation and I told her we needed to talk about the party. I told her that the party was on a Sunday and her immediate reaction was "Oh no! We have church on Sunday." I told her that yes that was one reason she couldn't go, but there was a more important reason. I asked her what we learn at church about doing things on Sundays. And she replied that we spend time with family. So we talked for a little bit about what keeping the Sabbath Day holy meant. Then being inspired (which I'll tell about in a sec) I asked her what she thought she should do, to which she said "not go" and then proceeded to cry for quite a while. Now while I felt so bad for her, I was so impressed that she made the decision on her own. Now for my being inspired - I had listened to a talk called Raising Up a Family to the Lord by Gene R. Cook (very awesome talk and gives you tons to think about as a parent) about raising kids in the church. In one of the sections it talked about how when they have something that they want to do that they shouldn't be doing, that you should have them make the decision instead of being the parent who just tells them what to do (and ending up being the bad guy, plus it helps teach them how to make decisions when you're not around to help them). He talked about how if they were starting to make the wrong decision to tell them to go and pray about it and see what Heavenly Father thinks they should do. He gave several examples of stories with his kids and how it had worked with them. At the time I thought it was a cool idea, and now I'm even more impressed because it worked! She didn't have to go pray about it, she just knew what was the right decision. And it wasn't Mommy being mean and not letting her go.
Comments
Post a Comment