6th Month Appointment

Well, my girl is growing and growing! She weighed in on Thursday at 17 lbs 5.4 oz (72%) and she is 26.5"long (68%). She is just getting so big!!!

You have to fill out this survey thing before the appointment so they can gage whether your baby is doing everything they are supposed to be. As I already knew, she is right on with all of her vocal/hearing milestones. Her physical milestones are a little behind. When her doctor was charting everything he started to get a little concerned about some of the things she's not doing yet (rolling over, grabbing stuff with one hand), but then I said something about her being a preemie and he said "Oh I forgot she was early, she's just so big and healthy!" So she is right on development wise for being 6 weeks early. She's about 3-4 weeks behind a normal 6 month old (except for her vocal skills!)

I had been receiving emails from one of the parenting websites every week that listed all of the things your 18 week-old, 19 week-old, etc...was supposed to be doing. A little while ago I had to unsubscribe to it because it was just depressing me. I totally know in my head that she could be a little behind, but my heart couldn't take seeing it every week. Plus then when she'd accomplish something I would think "oh, you should have been doing this 3 weeks ago..." instead of having joy in her accomplishments. I must say I'm much better off without those emails. I never realized how hard it is for mothers whose babies are not right on schedule or ahead. Even with Alexandra they had told me not to expect her to be on schedule development wise since she was 5 weeks early, but she was always there or ahead. So that has definitely been a challenge for me. The nurses in the NICU did tell me though, that if you have a preemie and they have older siblings it helps them to hit those milestones sooner because they are always trying to do what their siblings are doing, which I can see in her already. She loves to talk to Riley. She will sit and mimic Riley making sounds for long periods of time. In fact Riley was the one who taught her how to shriek.

Yesterday Riley's class did presentations of stories they had written. They were called Slice of Life stories. So they were about something that happened in real life to them. Riley went first and did great! Her story was about when she got her Arctic Fox webkinz. I'm so glad that they got to bring the stories home with them. I love seeing her pictures. These are two of the pages I loved.

She was actually wearing this shirt on the day she drew it!

And then after Riley's presentation, I went on a field trip with Alexandra. Originally my mom was going to go, but I checked with her teacher and one of the other parents had cancelled, so I thought I'd try taking Scarlett and see how she would do, while I had someone there to back me up! We went and saw a play called The Christmas Rescue. It was dorky, but still funny. The kids had a great time. The place they take them uses 5-6 actors and then they fill in with volunteers from the audience. Alexandra got to be part of the good army to rescue Santa and ended up being on stage having a snowball fight with the evil minions who were hiding in the audience. Mom got some pictures, I had my hands full with Scarlett. I'm so glad Alexandra got picked, plus she got picked for one of the funner parts. Scarlett did GREAT! She actually sat and watched most of the play. Even when I was feeding her bottle to her, she had to have her head turned so she could watch. There was one part where Santa asks all the kids if they have been good and of course all the kids answer yes. I was watching Alexandra and when she said yes she gave me this sideways look as if to see if I was going to correct her. It was hilarious!
This morning I made oatmeal for me and Alexandra. Alexandra is my super picky eater, so this was her first time (that she can remember - she had it when she was a baby) trying oatmeal. I put brown sugar on it and then when I asked her how it tasted she said "Awesome! It blew my socks off and I'm not even wearing any socks!"

Comments

  1. I told Aric about the play, how Alexandra had wanted to be one of the evil minions. He said, "I've always wanted evil minions. She can be my first." So Alexandra now belongs to Aric's evil minion army of 1.
    And Alexandra looking at Cort to see if Cort was going to tell Santa something different, was just hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Newest Addition!

A Year of Horrible

My Irrational Fears