Things I Learned About My Migraines Yesterday

Ahhh, so apparently I can bring on a migraine with just a lot of stress and not eating very well. Who knew????

Friday was a horrible crazy day. It would have been just a crazy day anyway....but....

Thursday night Dean calls from work saying that they need Scarlett's social security number right away. Apparently they are going to be charged $1000 a day for every day they don't have it. (No idea, don't ask) Well after tearing the house apart at 9:00 pm trying to find her card and being very unsuccessful, I determine I'm going to have to go down to SS to get her a new card - cuz you know they ain't giving me the number over the phone.

So here is how my Friday went. Got up at 5:45, got ready (didn't have time for breakfast - first bad decision of the day), got all the girls up at 6:30 and fed Scarlett and got them all ready for the day. Left at 7:25 to take the girls to school. Went to Wal-Mart to do grocery shopping (this had already been planned for my day - it was payday, and we need to eat and the next place I was headed didn't open till 9 anyway). Went home and dropped the grocery's off as fast as I could, fixed a bottle, and then drove to Human Services to get Scarlett's birth certificate (yeah I hadn't gotten one yet, and knew I would need it for SS). Sat and fed Scarlett her bottle while I waited for her certificate. I didn't have to wait too long there (thank goodness). Grabbed me some breakfast at Burger King and ate it on the way to pick Alexandra up from Kindergarten. In the parking lot at the school I realize that the cashier didn't give me my 2 books of stamps! ARGH!!!!!!!! So after I got Alexandra, I ran back to the Wal-Mart and went to customer service. When the clerk asked me how I was doing, I replied "Could be better if someone had remembered to give me my stamps" (and it was not in a friendly voice either). He hurriedly handed me 2 books of stamps and I left very pleased he hadn't given me any grief over it. Then we grabbed lunch for Alexandra at the Wendy's. I didn't get anything (2nd bad choice) because I'd just barely ate breakfast. We then drove FOREVER to the SS office. And then we had the pleasure of sitting in chairs and waiting for 2 1/2 hours for our turn. Finally we get to head up to the window. I hand them her birth certificate and tell them I need a new card for her. The clerk asks me for a 2nd ID for her. REALLY????? I tell them she's only 6 months old, what more could she have????? He asks for anything that has her birth date on it, insurance card, doctors visit papers. Luckily when she left the NICU we'd been given a printout with everything they had done in the NICU with her in case we'd needed to bring her back to the ER or anything. They told me to just keep it in the diaper bag, which I did!! So I very luckily had it with me that day. (Her insurance card just has the month and year not her actual birth date). We got a verification of her number - we'll receive her new card in a few weeks. And we left. It was 1:00 at this time and I was supposed to be at the school with the cash box for the Santa Shop before it opened at 2:30. So I drive and hit EVERY red light on the way home. I got home at 1:55, grabbed the cash box, and drove to the school. Then I helped out at the shop till a little after 4:00. At that point I should have probably headed home, but silly me, I had promised the girls if they were good while I was helping at the shop we would go to Target afterwards and they would get to spend their allowance and report card money. (Plus I did need some stuff from there too.) So we spend forever at Target (mostly because my brain was very tired, and that makes me shop SLOW). We pick up TV dinners, because I'm not up for making dinner and it's cheaper then fast food. And then we head home - it's almost 6:00 at this time. I get the girls their dinners made and feed Scarlett. Then I finally get to eat dinner! I relax for about an hour and then set about putting the girls in bed. I then hurry and get some of the other stuff I needed to do done that I hadn't been able to accomplish that day.

I finally get ready to go to bed at 11:00. As I'm sitting on my bed I notice that I can see an aura. For those of you who have no idea what that's like, it looks like wavy lines that I can't focus on around the edge of my vision, and because they are there my eyes are trying to focus on them and have trouble focusing on anything else. It's a VERY weird feeling. So EVERY time I've ever seen an aura I've gotten a migraine. Although I've always waited until the migraine hit to make sure I was getting one. Well Friday night I was not going to wait till I was in absolute pain (plus I had a busy Saturday planned so I was hoping maybe I could stop it before it even started.) So I hurried and took 2 Percocet before I went to bed. I woke up at 2am with a dull headache, but with all the other symptoms of a migraine. I was nauseous, I had trouble speaking (finding words), and lights were not my friend. Which I must say surprised me, I always figured the other stuff happened because of the intense pain. Dean got home right then, so he got me another Percocet and some Zofran and a cold washrag for my head. I eventually managed to go back to sleep (around the time the Percocet started working). I woke up still with nausea and a regular headache (which is still very painful, but no where near migraine painful), but I was determined to get the stuff planned for Saturday accomplished. So since I can't drive when I take Percocet or Vicodin, I had to get by on just the Zofran and Advil. We went to Elias' baptism at 10 and then over to Annie's for lunch afterward. Then Riley had a Girl Scout field trip to watch a musical called "Honk". I had bought tickets for Alexandra and I also, so I didn't want to waste those. So that's where we went next. "Honk" was great. It was the story of "The Ugly Duckling", but put to music. The 2nd graders really liked it, but Alexandra LOVED it!!!! I would say it is the perfect show for Kindergartners! She was dancing in her seat, trying to sing along. My favorite part was when the girl swan (who was very beautiful) was talking to the Ugly Duckling. When she left the stage, she honked! Alexandra turned to me and very excitedly told me "She's the same as him!!!!!!" It was awesome to see her as she figured out the story on her own. At the end, she asked me if we could watch it again and told me it was her very favoritest! She told Rebecca that it was "Awesome!".

So then we went home where Grammy was watching Scarlett so that Dean could go to work on time. Grammy told me I looked horrible and asked if it would help if she took the older two with her for an overnight. I gratefully accepted her help and then proceeded to crash. I was able to take care of Scarlett, really if I just hold her she's perfectly content. And when she went to bed at 7:30 I followed her.

Today I'm feeling better, just really weak. Still a little tiny headache, but no nausea, so it's something I can handle. I feel really shaky though, my hands are having trouble holding anything, let alone typing.

Here is what I have learned - I can cause a migraine to happen with stress (we've never been able to determine what causes my migraines at all) and if I take Percocet with the aura I can avoid most of the HORRIBLE pain! And I'm way over scheduled! So I would just like to apologize to all those who would normally get Christmas treat plates, you're not getting them this year. I've decided I'm not going to push and try to make all of the goodies with everything else that is scheduled right now. And I am glad that my Christmas shopping is all done and almost everything is wrapped. One less thing on my plate!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Newest Addition!

A Year of Horrible

My Irrational Fears