To Prozac, or not to Prozac....

Well, I have decided that I cannot do without my daily dose of sanity. With the morning sickness I was having trouble swallowing pills, so I just stopped taking my Prozac. (For those of you who don't know, I have trouble swallowing Advil on a good day - me and medicine just don't mix)

When we went in for my first appointment, we had talked about me taking the Prozac during the pregnancy. The doctor told me that it was up to me and we talked about some of the risks. Mainly there are very low risks of birth defects if taken in the first trimester, and then after the baby is born there is a risk of withdrawal side effects. I really am not too concerned about the side effects - I figure if I breast-feed, then the baby will still be getting a bit of the meds, so no withdrawal (the doctor laughed when I said that and said she hadn't thought about that) plus I'm almost done with the first trimester!! She also said that Prozac is one of the safer anti-depressant meds (or at least they know the most about it and side effects since it's been around the longest). When I first was put on Prozac for post-partum depression after Alexandra was born, the doctor then told me that even though there are some risks, the benefits of me being medicated far outweigh the risks to the baby. And I have to say that I agree (especially then).

But I have come to the conclusion that I am just a nicer person/Mom when I am medicated. I feel so sorry for the girls lately and Dean too. I snap at the littlest things, and I just get frustrated so much easier now too. I know that some of the mood swings I can blame on the pregnancy, but I know most of it is the lack of my meds. So this morning I started taking them again, so far so good (in other words it stayed down!) Just a couple of weeks to go till it's back to being in my system and I'm a nice person again.

Today was Riley's last day of school for the year!!! Yay!! I've been looking forward to being able to sleep in, take naps, and pretty much be lazy for a while now!! She had her class Christmas party today and then made snowglobes. It was a pretty cute idea! So far it has survived being dropped on the floor, so we'll see how long it lasts.

Comments

  1. Wow, good luck with that! I've had my fun with/without meds and decided that without meds is best for me. I gained too much weight with them and since my symptoms are just 10 days a month, I figure I can handle that on my own. Well, with the Lord's help, of course. But, hey, if you need them, by all means! That's why the Lord invented people smart enough to invent such things, right? :) Still praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cortney! It was nice meeting you today! I, too, have to take meds. It is truly a case of "better living through chemistry."
    They gave you a beautiful blessing today. I will keep you in my prayers and on our Temple Prayer Roll for a happy and healthy pregnancy.

    Lovingly,

    Meredith & Savannah's Mom
    Renée

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Newest Addition!

A Year of Horrible

My Irrational Fears